Ads following me

Hill Valley Veterinary

• Flutter of Butterflies Group

Whenever I search for something, it seems like I see ads for that stuff wherever I go. How do I do that for my practice?

• Beyond Indigo Pets Team
Heather

Hi Hill Valley, 

These ads are called retargeting ads. You interacted or searched for a specific product or service on a platform (such as FB or Google) and now you are being retargeted. 

You can do this with your business on multiple platforms. First, you need to pick your platform, I will use Facebook as an example. Facebook gives you the ability to retarget people who have visited your website as a whole, visited specific pages of your website or interacted with your posts/ads on FB. You must have the FB Pixel installed on your site to properly bucket and track these people (same with Google and other platforms, you need code installed on your site to properly retarget/track) 

So essentially, if you have a bunch of traffic going to your dental page on your site, you can retarget all of those people with a dental specific message tailored to the page they visited. 

So the new golf clubs I keep checking out... is that why I see them everywhere?

• Beyond Indigo Pets Team

Absolutely! Sometimes it is a bit creepy at first until you realize what is happening behind the scenes. Then it is still creepy but at least you know 🙂

You can definitely see which companies are using them, but it really is a great way to get your name, brand or products in front of the right people. Sometimes it takes a little time for a consumer as they are in their buying process. They do their research, they visit sites. So, these ads keep your brand in front of people you know are in the market and are a great resource. Even if you aren't getting clicks, as long as you are getting impressions, you are putting yourself in your potential customers head. 

This happens to me all the time. I know a lot of places have a way to track if you come in their actual business or not, if you have location on your phone turned on.

I have also had this happen, it's so strange but very smart!  

• Administrators

Hi all!

Privacy on the internet is a complete illusion. As long as you are online you are being tracked. A few ways to personally slow it down is to use a VPN (www.tunnelbear.com), a browser like FireFox or DuckDuckGo. I personally use all three of these to slow down the sucking up all my data to be used to market to me. Okay that is the creepy aspect of marketing. However, on the flip side, as a small business owner, it allows you to target specific people for very few dollars. We suggest you use retargeting to gain back lapsing clients or people who have visited your website or specific pages of your website. It is really, really effective.

Finally, watch what you view on company computers. Why? Because where you view or what you view on a company device can be tracked and seen by the business.

Kelly