Comments about articles in today's Fountain Report

• Beyond Indigo Pets Team

As mentioned in the article, times are tough. We are here to help. Share ideas, connect and let us all come out the other end of this in better shape than we went in. 

• Administrators

Hello All,

Look forward to discussions on what we are seeing now in the market place and if it is going to stay? Will bacon ever go back to $9.99 a package at Costco or will people's budgets be squeezed until salaries increase? Then does that mean a price increase for veterinary services? Love to hear your thoughts. We are here to help give ideas for marketing as well during this time and this advice is included as part of your fountain report subscription.

Kelly

• Flutter of Butterflies Group

We used to do mobile services with one truck that we had, we ended up having to add a fuel surcharge to our total bill for mobile services because of gas prices and to try and recoup some of the extra loss. We have tried to bump salaries to increase employee retainment and so far it has helped with employee turnover. To keep our practice going we have to have employees that want to work, so we spend the little extra to keep them happy. Paying a bit more than the average competitor wages has done it for us. 

That is a great comment. I feel like the notion of "it costs more to train a new person than it does to keep a good one," has fallen off the radar for a lot of places of late.

• Earth Of Foxes

Recession?  Inflation?  General business environment?  No matter the situation, the best time for marketing is..ALL THE TIME

Reactive marketing is too late.

Proactive marketing keeps you in front of clients and ready for their needs.

In the face of a recession, inflation or even a pandemic, there is no better time to identify your 'platinum' clients and let them know you care.

How?  Text.  Email.  And for extroverts---pick up the phone!!

Remind people of your story.

• Administrators

PAWDR - I totally agree. Marketing all the time that shores up the P&L sheet where it is sagging.

And to your statement about the phone, many veterinarians and their teams really do communicate well by phone. These days that is not the case with every person. A younger generational person might look at you with a puzzled face as in CALL like TALK to someone.

Love your story comment. Every business has it's own story. What is yours and have you told it lately should be a question every hospital asks.

• Flutter of Butterflies Group

We kind of feel like this expected downturn is our time to shine. We've been able to increase our FTE and are one of the few vets in the area accepting new appointments. We're really going to make a push for it for the remainder of the year and increase our budgets. 

I agree with all of the above. I'd also like to add marketing to existing clients is important nowadays, and so is improving the customer experience. Sure, your old regulars are comfortable picking up the phone and scheduling an appointment, or doing so online. But, they might need that reminder, and the younger generations need to be educated along the way about preventative or wellness care - and a little nudge to bring in their pet can go a long way.  Marketing can make this happen.

And, as for the customer experience, younger generations are used to convenience and investing into text messaging, an app with pet records and medications, are a few things that will go a long way - and, in my opinion, things that will make them likely to return and not be extremely cost conscious. My opinion from afar!