Let's talk about the "B" word: Burnout

• Beyond Indigo Pets Team

According to the latest article in the Fountain Report, burnout is costing the industry $2 billion a year. So now that the revenues are affected, will we see significant changes to help battle the crisis? And how do we do that in the face of the coming veterinary shortage?

Without making significant changes, it appears that we are headed towards burnout being even more of an issue. 

Are veterinarians in trouble, or do we think there will be changes to help out? 

• Beyond Indigo Pets Team

I know a lot of the practices that I talk to regularly are struggling with hiring, and many of their employees are putting in long days, which will, of course, lead to burnout. Some places are pushing for more efficiencies to accommodate more patients, whereas some are simply not seeing new patients. Neither of these addresses the burnout issue, and when I bring it up to them, they are kind of just hoping to avoid it. I'd love to know how other places are combatting this or if there are some creative ideas that lessen the impact being used.