What are your thoughts on adding more roles to veterinary teams?

• Antelligence

Policy expert Mark Cushing in his column this week notes the addition of "mid-level professionals" to veterinary teams -- similar to nurse practitioners or physician assistants in human medicine -- as a potential way to address veterinary care shortages.

Do you think this idea has potential to help the veterinary profession address workforce problems?

For veterinary technicians reading this, would you consider pursuing this type of training to build on your current skill set? Do you have hesitations? (One example is Lincoln Memorial University's new Master of Veterinary Clinical Care.)

• Flutter of Butterflies Group

Very interesting article and idea. It has worked well in the medical profession, so it seems like it would be a worthwhile venture in the veterinary industry. In addition to increasing appointment availability, it also lends itself to an opportunity for staff growth. 

I would certainly be willing to go this route at my practice if it came to fruition. 

• Beyond Indigo Pets Team

Great article, and it definitely is one of the best possible solutions I've heard regarding the staffing shortages and those upcoming. The time for change is now, we need to be proactive to get ahead of the coming years. 

Would love to hear other opinions and possible disadvantages to this strategy. 

• A Knowledge Partner

Yes, I agree, the time is now. We will be 15,000 veterinarians short by 2030. We have to take action and do something and this is a good solution that will help more pets get access to care.

• Flutter of Butterflies Group

Very informative article!  I think it is time our practice takes these tips and puts them into action.  Like mentioned above if it is working in the medical field then I don't see why it wouldn't or couldn't be effective in the vet world.